Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light rubber-soled canvas shoe, worn especially for sports.→ sandshoe
training shoe, running shoe, sports shoe, tennis shoe, plimsollView synonyms
- ‘Today, she's wearing plimsolls that skip across her kitchen's wooden floor with quick little trit-trot movements.’
- ‘And, comfortable as they may look, O'Neill also urges parents to campaign against any school policy that requires children to wear plimsolls inside at all times.’
- ‘There, on the wall, are a gorgeous pair of 1960s plimsolls - white, with little red bows and tiny red stripes around the base.’
- ‘She is already wealthier than the 50 school friends she once ran with, in plimsolls and skirts.’
- ‘When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just plimsolls and fluorescent ‘clackers’ on our wheels and hardly any brakes.’
- ‘Naturally we were equally impressed by the bravery of Commander Crabb, who took them on equipped only with a pair of plimsolls and some swimming goggles.’
- ‘Indeed, it's hard to believe that the young woman sprawled on the floor in her jeans and pink plimsolls, fiddling with her earrings, is going to let any of it go to her head.’
- ‘Fortunately, the caves are warm here so an old shirt, a pair of shorts and a pair of green farmer's plimsolls are pretty well adequate.’
- ‘So they opted for a tailored calf-length coat - chocolate brown - with a blue pinstripe suit and white plimsolls.’
- ‘Athletes must complete a 200-yard circuit, gingerly stepping over obstacles in their path such as fast-food containers, cans of lager and noxious-smelling plimsolls.’
Late 19th century: probably from the resemblance of the side of the sole to a Plimsoll line.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.