Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A forked swimming limb of a crustacean, five pairs of which are typically attached to the abdomen.Also called swimmeret
- ‘The eggs can be kept in open brood pouches or attached to the pleopods of the female, as in pleocyematan decapods, or freely released in the environment, as in penaeid shrimps.’
- ‘Occasional specimens show preservation of delicate structures such as pleopods and antennae/antennules.’
- ‘Sex determination was based on the morphology of the first pleopod and brood pouch if present.’
- ‘In contrast, arthropods such as the lobster possess distinct maxillipeds, pereopods, pleopods, and uropod.’
- ‘Often, a biologist need only examine the pleopods to make a family-level designation, thus making the dorsal carapace features superfluous in the diagnosis.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek plein ‘swim, sail’ + pous, pod- ‘foot’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.