Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existing in or yielding great quantities; abundant.‘coal is cheap and plentiful’
be abundant, abound, be numerous, exist in abundance, proliferate, be thick on the groundgrow on treesbe ten a penny, be two a pennyabundant, copious, ample, profuse, rich, lavish, liberal, generous, bountiful, large, huge, great, bumper, flush, overflowing, superabundant, infinite, inexhaustible, opulent, prolific, teeminga gogo, galorelankbounteous, plenteousView synonyms
- ‘Winter-flowering pansies and violas are in plentiful supply for this job.’
- ‘Animals were plentiful for hunting, and there was an abundance of wild cereals on the mountain ridges.’
- ‘The hint of heat and the consistency of the plentiful golden korma was perfect.’
- ‘Now entertainment is plentiful, and much of it is more entertaining than politics.’
- ‘These were not as plentiful as the player would have liked, for one who has been interested in football since he could walk.’
- ‘Skilful, robust and inspirational players are plentiful in this part of the land.’
- ‘Mrs. Tuitt was and is a good role model at a time when these are not plentiful.’
- ‘Because I had to give up my work as a consultant mechanical engineer money is not too plentiful.’
- ‘And plentiful research shows that working at home permits greater leisure time.’
- ‘Space up front is plentiful and adults can sit in the back for short journeys.’
- ‘On the night of the celebration, the beer was refreshing and the doughnuts were plentiful.’
- ‘I stuffed the bottle with scraps of paper and tinder-dry sticks of which there was a plentiful supply.’
- ‘The full tillering capacity of wheat is only realised if plants are widely spaced and have plentiful nutrition.’
- ‘My duck was the best I have tasted: tender meat with crispy skin, and, to top it all, plentiful.’
- ‘We've decided to keep the TV in the bedroom on low so that we hear the sirens, so sleep will not be plentiful I fear.’
- ‘Transport in Beijing is plentiful in the shape of regular buses, minibuses, subways and taxis.’
- ‘Celebrations were plentiful and the overall spirit of the night was very high.’
- ‘The only work he had ever known was as a musician - and the gigs weren't that plentiful.’
- ‘Money is plentiful for those who understand the simple laws which govern its acquisition.’
- ‘Traders say it would take some time before fruits become a plentiful commodity in these parts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.