Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Plentiful.‘the meal was astonishingly plenteous’
abundant, superabundant, plentiful, ample, profuse, full, extensive, considerable, substantial, generous, bumper, lavish, fulsome, liberal, bountiful, overflowing, abounding, teemingView synonyms
- ‘Third, it leaves plenteous room for continued debate and diverse private opinion about the issue.’
- ‘Their achievements are so plenteous they could fill a book.’
- ‘There are plenteous places in Singapore where we get economically-priced burgers, sandwiches and cold coffee.’
- ‘So, I spent my first evening in Singapore contemplating my penniless state, surrounded by glamorous people, and drinking the plenteous free refills the barman provided me with.’
- ‘And as I demonstrated when I dropped one into the bucket, a hagfish can exude from its skin a substance so slimy and so plenteous it seems supernatural.’
- ‘Her beauty was dazzling; even her enemies - and they were plenteous - could not deny this.’
- ‘People travel from far and wide to visit this town's plenteous antique stores.’
- ‘Of the plenteous perks of publishing a birding blog, and rest assured, they are manifold, one of the best has to be the free stuff.’
- ‘Your Honour, although my notes are plenteous, I think I have covered most of what I have to say.’
- ‘The harvest is plenteous but the labourers few.’
- ‘The plenteous natural resources like water and fertile soil and the greenery, keep people satisfied.’
- ‘We surveyed Roosevelt Road, where churches seemed as plenteous as liquor stores.’
Middle English: from Old French plentivous, from plentif, -ive, from plente plenty. Compare with bounteous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.