One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of insects that comprises the stoneflies.
- ‘The Grylloblattida s. Storozhenko matches the composition of the Plecopteroid Assemblage excluding the Plecoptera.’
- ‘One small brown insect that I first thought might be some type of Plecoptera or Neuroptera quickly revealed itself to be a webspinner (Embioptera).’
- ‘Hedriumichnus may therefore have been produced by a nymph of a primitive Ephemeroptera (Mayflies; the lobes representing abdominal leglets), or Plecoptera (Stoneflies; the lobes representing globular gills).’
- ‘Hedriumichnus, known only from the Robledo Mountains, is interpreted as the resting trace of a nymph of a primitive Ephemeroptera or Plecoptera.’
- 1.1 Insects of the order "Plecoptera" ; stoneflies.‘the gills of most plecoptera’
- ‘Analysis of the databases shows that the Plecoptera are at a much better level of determination than the Ephemeroptera.’
- ‘Plecoptera are thought to have a relationship with the Orthopteroid-Plecopteroid assemblage.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek plekos ‘wickerwork’ (from plekein ‘to plait’) + pteron ‘wing’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.