One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arrangement between prosecutor and defendant whereby the defendant pleads guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for a more lenient sentence or an agreement to drop other charges.
- ‘We have people who are so overwhelmed that they have to reduce the sentences by plea-bargaining.’
- ‘The guilty plea procedure is sometimes the result of plea-bargaining between the prosecution and defence counsel.’
- ‘Pilot schemes saw several benefits, including a reduction in plea-bargaining and downgrading of charges, and an increase in early guilty pleas.’
- ‘He said they would be entitled to make representations on the merits of the charges against them, offer evidence as witnesses, and engage the prosecuting authority in plea-bargaining.’
- ‘As liberals in today's world we have to accept greater use of intercept communication, surveillance and plea-bargaining.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.