One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a set of rectangular pieces of card having a sequence of numbers and symbols on one side, used to play various games, some involving gambling. A standard pack contains 52 cards divided into four suits.
- ‘The deck we use has two Jokers, two Sample Cards and 52 standard playing cards.’
- ‘All previous decks had shown pips like a normal pack of playing cards.’
- ‘One can order playing cards from casinos, poker chips, and even complete poker tables.’
- ‘It is also possible for the playing cards to be physically sorted and placed in the boards by a machine controlled by the computer.’
- ‘Well a group of enterprising Irish card manufacturers have since issued their own playing cards.’
- ‘It is played with a standard deck of 52 playing cards, plus two jokers.’
- ‘The prints themselves could resemble the decorative side of enlarged playing cards.’
- ‘Glue this playing card over the large playing card and allow the glue to dry well.’
- ‘A standard card deck is used, with two Jokers; hence all 54 playing cards are needed.’
- ‘Well, imagine laying standard playing cards end to end from New York to San Francisco.’
- ‘The deck for this game can be created from three standard decks of playing cards.’
- ‘As thanks for his help Henare Piripi was given a clean white shirt, six boxes of matches and a new pack of playing cards.’
- ‘Novelty playing cards showing Canvey's artistic welcome sign have been printed to raise cash to help regeneration work.’
- ‘Authentic card sound effects beautifully recreate the real sounds of playing card games.’
- ‘This edition features a round board instead of the usual square and a plastic card dispenser that resembles a playing card shuffler.’
- ‘We asked them to memorise a string of playing cards pulled randomly from a shuffled pack.’
- ‘A sum of Rs 400 and a deck of playing cards were seized from their possession.’
- ‘It is as small as a credit card and half the size of a deck of playing cards.’
- ‘Next up I had to get a new deck of playing cards and attach my picture to the Queen of Hearts.’
- ‘An ordinary pack of playing cards, which can be found in almost every household, is used, omitting the Joker.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.