Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a set of rectangular pieces of card having a sequence of numbers and symbols on one side, used to play various games, some involving gambling. A standard pack contains 52 cards divided into four suits.
- ‘Well, imagine laying standard playing cards end to end from New York to San Francisco.’
- ‘The deck for this game can be created from three standard decks of playing cards.’
- ‘Glue this playing card over the large playing card and allow the glue to dry well.’
- ‘The deck we use has two Jokers, two Sample Cards and 52 standard playing cards.’
- ‘It is as small as a credit card and half the size of a deck of playing cards.’
- ‘As thanks for his help Henare Piripi was given a clean white shirt, six boxes of matches and a new pack of playing cards.’
- ‘Next up I had to get a new deck of playing cards and attach my picture to the Queen of Hearts.’
- ‘The prints themselves could resemble the decorative side of enlarged playing cards.’
- ‘We asked them to memorise a string of playing cards pulled randomly from a shuffled pack.’
- ‘This edition features a round board instead of the usual square and a plastic card dispenser that resembles a playing card shuffler.’
- ‘Authentic card sound effects beautifully recreate the real sounds of playing card games.’
- ‘An ordinary pack of playing cards, which can be found in almost every household, is used, omitting the Joker.’
- ‘Novelty playing cards showing Canvey's artistic welcome sign have been printed to raise cash to help regeneration work.’
- ‘It is also possible for the playing cards to be physically sorted and placed in the boards by a machine controlled by the computer.’
- ‘A sum of Rs 400 and a deck of playing cards were seized from their possession.’
- ‘It is played with a standard deck of 52 playing cards, plus two jokers.’
- ‘Well a group of enterprising Irish card manufacturers have since issued their own playing cards.’
- ‘All previous decks had shown pips like a normal pack of playing cards.’
- ‘One can order playing cards from casinos, poker chips, and even complete poker tables.’
- ‘A standard card deck is used, with two Jokers; hence all 54 playing cards are needed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.