One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who both plays in a sports team and manages it.
- ‘‘In the recent game between Grimsby and Stockport, goals were scored by both player-managers - Paul Groves and Carlton Palmer,’ notices Pete Green.’
- ‘Fortunately for Britton, the player-manager came into the action just six minutes from time and equalised a minute later.’
- ‘He ended his career as a player-manager for the Cardinals in 1953, and later managed the White Sox and Rangers.’
- ‘United should have scored deep into stoppage time but player-manager John Taylor somehow managed to head wide from less than a yard and with the goal gaping.’
- ‘I always have a problem with the player-manager role.’
- ‘Across Stanley Park, Kenny Dalglish also sealed the double, albeit as a player-manager in 1986.’
- ‘But the player-manager was caught out four minutes after the break when he turned Sheron's cross into his own net.’
- ‘If you include player-managers from the old days, there are 27 other names besides Mike Scioscia's on the list.’
- ‘As to being a player-manager, it's true there aren't too many of us about.’
- ‘When the York City board chose Chris Brass as the new player-manager, he became the youngest Football League boss for 50 years.’
- ‘Some people have asked how on earth can he deal with everything that goes with being a player-manager when he's got so much on his own plate.’
- ‘He had a successful year as a player before becoming player-manager.’
- ‘In 1955, he joined the Phillies' organization as a player-manager in Olean, New York.’
- ‘Emanuel badgered and bothered the home player-manager sufficiently on the edge of his own box to win possession before striding confidently downfield.’
- ‘And who else could mark his first season in charge as a player-manager by winning the League and Cup double.’
- ‘Joe Cronin, perhaps the best shortstop of the 1930s, and Lou Boudreau, perhaps the best of the next decade, were player-managers as starting shortstops.’
- ‘And it was a player-manager's role for me as one of the permitted five over-age players in what was an unforgettable afternoon.’
- ‘In the Eighties he served a long apprenticeship as player-manager in non-league football, first with Chelmsford City and thereafter Dartford.’
- ‘Beginning with his work as a player-manager for the Cleveland Indians, Robinson has become one of the best field managers of the free agent era.’
- ‘‘Hopefully, I will be okay but I couldn't even grip my hand after the game,’ said the City player-manager.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.