One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Represented as being less important than in reality.‘a played-down description of atrocities’
restrained, modest, understated, muted, subtle, quiet, low-profile, inconspicuous, unostentatious, unobtrusive, discreet, circumspect, toned-down, self-effacing, relaxed, downbeat, easy-going, modulated, softenedView synonyms
- ‘Those ignored or played-down studies have consistently failed to produce results commensurate with astrological claims.’
- ‘Neither of us is big on the mushy romance of it all and thats just fine because we've always shared that kind of played-down sentimentality.’
- ‘His romanticism is a played-down and controlled romanticism.’
- ‘We gave what we considered a played-down version of it.’
- ‘At the end, I felt cheated by a played-down story.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.