Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A game or match forming part of a play-off.
contest, competition, game, tournament, tie, cup tie, event, fixture, trial, test, test match, meet, bout, fight, duelView synonyms
- ‘Nine of those years the North Stars entered the Allan Cup playdowns, making their first trip to the Allan Cup at Truro, Nova Scotia, in 1998.’
- ‘If such a marriage were to take place, the local teams would lose their one guaranteed berth, but would have a shot at sending more teams overall to the provincial championships through zone playdowns.’
- ‘The Ile des Chenes North Stars will not be participating in the all-star game as they will be playing a pair of exhibition games in Thunder Bay this weekend against a Senior AAA team that will be competing in the Ontario Allan Cup playdowns.’
- ‘The national and provincial water polo associations are co-hosting the Canadian National Water Polo League playdowns this weekend in Coquitlam at the City Centre Aquatic Centre.’
- ‘Grunthal and Ile des Chenes have both confirmed their entries in the Manitoba Allan Cup playdowns this winter, which will likely be held in January.’
- ‘Last season he coached the peewee team to the league title but fell to rivals Surrey and Richmond in the provincial playdowns.’
- ‘The league acts as a tune-up of sorts before teams enter their various provincial playdowns.’
- ‘Grunthal is preparing for a Manitoba Allan Cup playdown series against Ile des Chenes, who are the reigning Canadian Allan Cup champions.’
- ‘Local baseball players Dale and Zane Anderson have completed Baseball Alberta's round robin playdowns with an 11-record.’
- ‘The Grunthal Red Wings senior hockey team, assembled to compete in the Allan Cup playdowns this year, will play a home and home series next week against the Southeastern Hockey League All-Stars.’
- ‘The finals will not get underway until mid-March to allow for the completion of the Manitoba Allan Cup playdowns between the defending Allan Cup champion and the Grunthal Red Wings.’
- ‘Quinn Adams of Beausejour downed Deb McCreanor of St Adolphe by a 10-4 margin in the finals of the Zone 9 ladies curling playdowns last weekend at the Steinbach Curling Club.’
- ‘Grunthal has formed a team with the intent of competing in the 2004 Allan Cup playdowns.’
- ‘Western Ontario's Men came into last weekend's Ontario University conference Squash Championships in an unfamiliar position - they had been tied the prior weekend by McGill in a ‘crossover playdown.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.