Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The reproduction of previously recorded sounds or moving images.[as modifier] ‘the instant playback facility’[with modifier] ‘high-quality video playback’[count noun] ‘we listened to several playbacks in the control room’
- ‘Sony also bundles stereo earphones with a remote control for private audio and video playback.’
- ‘How would you use one, and would it be worth spending $500 on a device that only did video playback?’
- ‘Unfortunately, it was something of a letdown, mainly related to video performance and DVD playback.’
- ‘It's free and offers high quality playback, video programming, ability to create a playlist of favourite videos.’
- ‘Instant playback of recorded video gave these trendy gadgets an edge over the conventional machines.’
- ‘Durabis technology resists scratches, which can cause recording and playback errors.’
- ‘The company claims a four-hour video playback time; or ten hours if you're listening to songs.’
- ‘Each has a console, extra controller, the DVD playback kit, and various games.’
- ‘This feature allows the user to capture memos or incoming phone conversations for future playback.’
- ‘So if you spent money on earbuds, you will hear the difference, especially if you record for playback in the highest quality streams.’
- ‘The company has touted its audio option and published results of DVD playback tests.’
- ‘One might, for example, copy a music CD to an audio cassette for playback on one's Walkman.’
- ‘A media server system and method are disclosed for playback of digital media.’
- ‘This mode is used to select a previously archived session for playback via a remote VCR server.’
- ‘For example, very few support video playback, relying solely on audio and still images.’
- ‘Then when you hit Play, the hard-drive playback begins picking up right where you left off.’
- ‘Images may be recorded for playback on a standard VHS video cassette recorder.’
- ‘During DVD playback, all sounds were where they should have been, and all at normal volumes.’
- ‘Also, it looks like home video playback on the Tivo will also soon be available.’
- ‘Well, we can get much more informative results by measuring the average video playback speed.’
- 1.1[count noun]A pre-recorded musical soundtrack mimed to by an actor.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.