One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behave in an irresponsible, silly, or playful way.
fool about, fool around, play the fool, act foolishly, act the clown, act the fool, act the goat, play about, play around, monkey about, monkey around, play tricks, indulge in horseplay, engage in high jinksView synonyms
- ‘He flirted like a butterfly, played the giddy goat and spoke his mind.’
- ‘Glassy-eyed school children playing the giddy goat in the corridors seem to concur with us: it is worthy but boring.’
- ‘Dependable and prudent, he often yearns to play the giddy goat and do a comic turn, but he'll only do so with a partner who makes him feel safe.’
- ‘Her brother plays the giddy goat and is everything they told you not to be at school - a coward, a thief, a lazy fellow.’
- ‘I loved the mischief in him, the way he could play the giddy goat, his funny gossip.’
- ‘My father is okay but tired, though he manages to play the giddy goat with his grandsons, who think he's really funny.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.