One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Use one's best resource.‘deciding to play her ace, Emily showed the letter to Vic’
- ‘But just when it could all fall over at the last hurdle, he plays his ace.’
- ‘Quinlan recalls playing his ace card: ‘I told Dr Guevara, ‘Anybody whose maternal grandparents were Lynches either speaks Gaelic or English.’
- ‘When I played my ace - enlisting his family to twist his arm - he only grew more obstinate.’
- ‘However, I just play my ace at night and she gives in.’
- ‘And when men have triumphed in their arguments with women, the women play their ace: they say, as Molly Bloom did, ‘Yes.’’
- ‘With a good sense of dramatic timing, Rømer played his ace in the next paragraph, where he illustrated the effect of the proposed retardation of light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.