One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take precautions; avoid risks.‘I think we'll play safe and get another set of X-rays done’
- ‘Antonio maintains he thought he was playing it safe, because his computer was not directly connected to the Internet.’
- ‘Sometimes, in politics as well as in poker, playing safe isn't the best strategy.’
- ‘She had to weigh up the pros and cons - risk a long time out this spring, or play it safe and maybe miss out on a medal in front of her home crowd.’
- ‘I've spent so much of my life being afraid, missing out on experiences because I was playing it safe, staying within the lines, doing what was expected of me.’
- ‘The results so far show that women prefer to play it safe than to take risks with their money.’
- ‘He has never concealed the fact that he is a moderate politician who plays safe, so he is not about to stick his neck out.’
- ‘I'm the kind of person who would rather play it safe and lose out than risk everything and have a chance at winning.’
- ‘He later said: ‘You don't win gold medals by playing it safe.’’
- ‘But I decided that playing it safe would be no fun at all.’
- ‘The Academy surprised me last year with some genuinely unconventional choices, but I'm playing it safe here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.