One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ticket allowing a non-traveller access to a railway station platform.
- ‘At the touch of a button, the proposed machine would provide a three-rupee platform ticket.’
- ‘Mr Hewitt recalls that family members who came to wave them off had to pay a penny each for a platform ticket and said York station in those days was very dingy and grubby.’
- ‘A passenger who wants to buy one platform ticket has to put three 1 rupee coins, one by one.’
- ‘Throughout Sunday people visited the new station and 500 platform tickets were issued compared with the dozen or so issued on a normal Sunday.’
- ‘On my way out I was asked to present my platform ticket by a railway official.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.