A small colourless disc-shaped cell fragment without a nucleus, found in large numbers in blood and involved in clotting.Also called thrombocyte
- ‘The animals also showed no significant decreases in white blood cells or platelets.’
- ‘For example, a person can receive only platelets, red blood cells, or a clotting factor.’
- ‘After five or six days in hospital Kim was diagnosed with severe aplastic anaemia which is a failure of the bone marrow to produce blood cells and platelets.’
- ‘Aspirin prevents heart disease by keeping the platelets in our blood from sticking together and forming a clot.’
- ‘The bone marrow is responsible for formation of blood components such as the white blood cells and platelets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.