One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular A theory explaining the structure of the earth's crust and many associated phenomena as resulting from the interaction of rigid lithospheric plates which move slowly over the underlying mantle.
- ‘Not only is everything evidence for plate tectonics, but plate tectonics explains everything!’
- ‘In any case, many of Wegener's ideas clearly served as the catalyst and framework for the development of the theory of plate tectonics three decades later.’
- ‘In the 1960s a conceptual revolution, the theory of plate tectonics, changed the way earth scientists thought.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, the Earth's internal structure influences plate tectonics.’
- ‘The theory of plate tectonics holds that the entire crust of the earth is broken into six large pieces and many smaller ones.’
- ‘On the modern Earth, plate tectonics assembles and destroys continents.’
- ‘Scientists were surprised by this finding because andesites on Earth are typically created by processes associated with plate tectonics.’
- ‘The scientists working on this project say the discovery could change theories on plate tectonics dramatically.’
- ‘I need to devote a whole article to plate tectonics to explain this more clearly, but for now, I will try to explain this in simple terms to illustrate the concept.’
- ‘In the early 1960s, the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics started a revolution in the earth sciences.’
- ‘The discovery of Earth's stripes, in the 1960s, led geologists to accept the theory of plate tectonics.’
- ‘He was instrumental in conducting research that led to the development of crustal-plate motion concepts and the theory of plate tectonics.’
- ‘Must we reject the theory of plate tectonics because the movement of the earth's crust cannot be reproduced?’
- ‘He covers the modern history of the science of plate tectonics, explaining why Indonesia has so many volcanoes and earthquakes.’
- ‘Although the concept is fatally flawed, the idea of a dynamic Earth helped usher in the concept of plate tectonics.’
- ‘Moreover, holistic method has proved useful in the hard sciences, for example in the geological theory of plate tectonics.’
- ‘The surface of Venus appears to be dominated by volcanic hot spots rather than spreading and subduction associated with plate tectonics.’
- ‘Like a miniature version of Earth's plate tectonics, thin slabs of basalt crust jostle about, driven by the heat below.’
- ‘In plate tectonics, fragments of crust move independently along the surface of the viscous mantle.’
- ‘Even though the theory of plate tectonics is now widely accepted by the scientific community, aspects of the theory are still being debated today.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.