One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance (typically a solvent) added to a synthetic resin to produce or promote plasticity and flexibility and to reduce brittleness.
- ‘In the past, synthetic plasticizers have been used to improve the mechanical properties of films made from commercial zein.’
- ‘Plastic extractables include such chemicals as base polymers, fillers, lubricants, plasticizers, antioxidants, pigments, and slip agents.’
- ‘The new law will also ban persistent organic pollutants and other persistent chemicals such as lead and require the phasing out of chlorinated paraffins, such as plasticisers and flame retardants.’
- ‘It is used as a corrosion inhibitor, a plasticizer, and a lubricant, as well as an ingredient in a variety of polymers and personal care products.’
- ‘Typical plasticizers for PVC are long chain organic compounds such as phthalates, adipates and organophosphates. secondary plasticizers include chlorinated paraffins and epoxidised natural oils.’
- ‘Some household cleaners and solvents remove plasticizers from vinyl, making them brittle.’
- ‘Solid vinyl tile is a non-backed product that contains higher levels of vinyl resins, plasticizers and stabilizers than composition tile.’
- ‘Some products, called plastisols, contain no solvent and consist of polymers dispersed in a liquid plasticizer.’
- ‘Phthalates, industrial plasticizers that disrupt animal development, were also detected in resident crayfish.’
- ‘Early formulations used stabilizers and plasticizers to provide flexibility and ultra-violet resistance.’
- ‘They are also used as plasticizers to improve the characteristics of polymers.’
- ‘This announcement followed the European Commission banning phthalate plasticisers in PVC teething toys for children under three years old.’
- ‘Two components used in making the polyvinyl chloride are lead stabilizers and plasticizers, which allow the material to remain flexible.’
- ‘They are mainly used as starting materials for manufacturing iso-nonanols, which are then converted into dialkylphthalate plasticisers.’
- ‘Commercial nylon formulations often include plasticisers such as water, acids, alcohols and phenols, which reduce the yield stress and Young's modulus of the polymer, but increase the material toughness.’
- ‘Those compounds include human and veterinary drugs (including antibiotics), natural and synthetic hormones, detergents, plasticizers, insecticides and fire retardants.’
- ‘Because PVC is very brittle, plasticizers are added for flexibility and softness.’
- ‘Particulate fillers like talc or ground calcium carbonate generally increase stiffness, while plasticizers enhance flexibility.’
- ‘The endocrine-disrupting phthalate plasticizers that leach from soft PVC plastics are another concern.’
- ‘Another popular brand, Saran Original, contains chlorine and plasticizers, but not phthalates, according to manufacturer S.C. Johnson & Sons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.