One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance (typically a solvent) added to a synthetic resin to produce or promote plasticity and flexibility and to reduce brittleness.
- ‘Another popular brand, Saran Original, contains chlorine and plasticizers, but not phthalates, according to manufacturer S.C. Johnson & Sons.’
- ‘In the past, synthetic plasticizers have been used to improve the mechanical properties of films made from commercial zein.’
- ‘Some products, called plastisols, contain no solvent and consist of polymers dispersed in a liquid plasticizer.’
- ‘Those compounds include human and veterinary drugs (including antibiotics), natural and synthetic hormones, detergents, plasticizers, insecticides and fire retardants.’
- ‘Because PVC is very brittle, plasticizers are added for flexibility and softness.’
- ‘It is used as a corrosion inhibitor, a plasticizer, and a lubricant, as well as an ingredient in a variety of polymers and personal care products.’
- ‘Typical plasticizers for PVC are long chain organic compounds such as phthalates, adipates and organophosphates. secondary plasticizers include chlorinated paraffins and epoxidised natural oils.’
- ‘The endocrine-disrupting phthalate plasticizers that leach from soft PVC plastics are another concern.’
- ‘Some household cleaners and solvents remove plasticizers from vinyl, making them brittle.’
- ‘They are mainly used as starting materials for manufacturing iso-nonanols, which are then converted into dialkylphthalate plasticisers.’
- ‘They are also used as plasticizers to improve the characteristics of polymers.’
- ‘Two components used in making the polyvinyl chloride are lead stabilizers and plasticizers, which allow the material to remain flexible.’
- ‘This announcement followed the European Commission banning phthalate plasticisers in PVC teething toys for children under three years old.’
- ‘Commercial nylon formulations often include plasticisers such as water, acids, alcohols and phenols, which reduce the yield stress and Young's modulus of the polymer, but increase the material toughness.’
- ‘The new law will also ban persistent organic pollutants and other persistent chemicals such as lead and require the phasing out of chlorinated paraffins, such as plasticisers and flame retardants.’
- ‘Early formulations used stabilizers and plasticizers to provide flexibility and ultra-violet resistance.’
- ‘Plastic extractables include such chemicals as base polymers, fillers, lubricants, plasticizers, antioxidants, pigments, and slip agents.’
- ‘Particulate fillers like talc or ground calcium carbonate generally increase stiffness, while plasticizers enhance flexibility.’
- ‘Phthalates, industrial plasticizers that disrupt animal development, were also detected in resident crayfish.’
- ‘Solid vinyl tile is a non-backed product that contains higher levels of vinyl resins, plasticizers and stabilizers than composition tile.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.