Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A microscopic membrane of lipids and proteins which forms the external boundary of the cytoplasm of a cell or encloses a vacuole, and regulates the passage of molecules in and out of the cytoplasm.
- ‘This indicates the firm appression of the plasma membrane to the cell wall, which is typical of a turgescent cell.’
- ‘Cholesterol is one of the major lipid components of the plasma membrane of mammalian cells.’
- ‘The electrode tip pushes through the cell wall tending to jump quickly across the plasma membrane into either the cytoplasm or the vacuole.’
- ‘The major destinations for proteins exiting the Golgi apparatus are the plasma membrane and the vacuolar system.’
- ‘Among all the fluxes in the whole plant, the passage of through the plasma membrane of root cells has been intensively studied.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.