One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A song of the kind formerly sung by black slaves on American plantations.
- ‘The title ‘Tuck Me to Sleep in My Old ‘Tucky Home’ sounds like a plantation song.’
- ‘Old Negro spirituals, the raw, fervent plantation songs that helped African Americans through slavery, Emancipation and Jim Crow are finding a rebirth in the era of hip-hop.’
- ‘One of the posters we have is for a show by Dennistoun's Amateur Minstrel company in 1888 in the City Halls for ‘an evening of revival of 20 old Negro melodies and plantation songs’.’
- ‘We then went on to plantation songs, women's songs, and songs through the Civil War.’
- ‘Plantation songs, tales, and slave caricatures were wildly popular up until World War II.’
- ‘The center's kickoff event last month featured The Hallelujah Singers, a local group of Gullah singers who perform plantation songs that date back to the 1660s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.