One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for mechanically measuring the area of a plane figure.
- ‘Before each use, the planimeter was checked for accuracy against known areas.’
- ‘Micrographs were printed at a final magnification of 994x for image analysis, and Digital Paintbrush (The Computer Colorworks, Sausalito, CA, USA) was used as a planimeter and digitizer.’
- ‘He invented the polar planimeter, a device for measuring areas enclosed by plane curves.’
- ‘A planimeter or digitizing tablet is used to calculate the PU surface area.’
- ‘These data were plotted on polar coordinate paper and area was estimated using a planimeter.’
- ‘We determined vasodilator responses by measuring the area under the response curve ([cm.sup.2]) obtained with a digital planimeter.’
- ‘The leaves were then excised and their total surface area measured using a planimeter (Li-Cor area meter, model 3100, Li-Cor, USA).’
- ‘Leaves were excised, placed in damp plastic bags and transported to the laboratory where projected area was determined with a planimeter (LI - 3000A / LI - 3050A, Li-Cor).’
- ‘An assessor, who was blind to the LUMT assessments (ie, not involved in the reliability of the LUMT assessments) obtained and measured the acetate tracings using a planimeter.’
- ‘To determine green leaf area index (LAI, in m leaves m - 2 soil surface), leaf area was measured on HDM plus crown parts using a planimeter with a video camera (Delta-T Devices, UK).’
- ‘Relative blood flow was recorded with a digital planimeter (Tamaya [Tokyo, Japan]) over time on a chart recorder and measured as the surface area under the response curve in [cm.sup.2].’
- ‘To determine this position, I used an amazing device called an integrating planimeter and a 1/50 scale drawing of the wing.’
Mid 19th century: from French planimètre, from Latin planus ‘level’ + -mètre ‘(instrument) measuring’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.