One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Theatricality rather than reality is the keynote of his production, a point symbolised by the constant background music of Latenas Faustas, which varies from fairground jauntiness to pianistic plangency.’
- ‘Her subjects may revolve around love, loss, and guilt but poignancy rarely tips over into plangency.’
- ‘His Orestes is a confused, grandstanding jock, intoning his lines with stentorian plangency.’
- ‘The deep breaths exhaled by his broad lines, his declarative sentences and their assertive plangency, his deliberate tactlessness and brave humor, redirect the reader to a history of poetic Yanks: Whitman, Williams.’
- ‘She had a slight catch, a touch of sympathy-arousing plangency, in her voice, and a vulnerable presence that cried out for protection; Birdsong sounds like a typical lounge singer, and comes across as a bit of a bruiser to boot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.