One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for plainsong
- ‘The service is fleshed out with short organ pieces and improvisations, and the plainchant used at St Mark's at Christmas; it provides the perfect framework for the music by two of the formidable masters of music at San Marco.’
- ‘The main theme of this movement is the Dies Irae from the medieval plainchant.’
- ‘The German term originally signified a plainchant melody sung chorally, but from the late 16th century its meaning was widened to include vernacular hymns.’
- ‘The plainchant was delivered faultlessly, and gave a flavour of the complementary timbres of the male voices.’
- ‘But the text of Rex tremendae is part of the Dies irae sequence, not the other way round, and there is no trace of the Dies irae plainchant in Mozart's setting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.