Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dark, slightly bitter, chocolate without added milk.
- ‘But this effect was not seen when volunteers drank milk with plain chocolate.’
- ‘US dark chocolate is the same as UK plain chocolate, that is, the darkest and least sweet of the chocolates intended for eating (also called bittersweet).’
- ‘Lindane traces have been found in Thorntons, Nestle and Tesco own - brand chocolate, as well as luxury plain chocolate made by Swiss company Lindt And Sprungli and sold in Sainsbury's, Tesco and Woolworths.’
- ‘They have other fun things like the Tastebud Initiation which includes Aunt Helene's farmhouse chicken or toast with hot goat's cheese and a dessert of little plain chocolate mice.’
- ‘Before 1958 the dark brown Smartie had a plain chocolate centre and the light brown one tasted of coffee.’
- ‘He invites me to join in and, yes, it's true that Kenyan coffee has a citrus, almost lemony taste, while the Abyssinian coffee is dark, full-blooded and winey, and Javan tastes of good plain chocolate.’
- ‘A tiny study in Nature [CrossRef] offers potentially good news for lovers of plain chocolate.’
- ‘Green & Black's do a plain chocolate containing dried fruit and nuts that I think would be better for her.’
- ‘When she takes a tasting class, Sara sticks to plain chocolate.’
- ‘I wasn't sure what kind you'd like, so I stuck with plain chocolate.’
- ‘In that context, your plan to introduce plain chocolate or strawberry flavors, a plan which superficially may make marketing sense, doesn't make branding sense.’
- ‘I was very fond of plain chocolate, though it was not as good as what you can buy today.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.