One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1dated A beach by the sea, especially at a fashionable resort.
seaside, seashore, shore, coast, coastline, coastal region, seaboard, foreshore, water's edge, marginView synonyms
- ‘Meanwhile, down on the plage at the other end of the avenue, fights had broken out as ticketless fans watched the match on a big screen.’
- ‘This summer, heart-warming scenes like the above are being played out across the plages and dance floors of Europe, in the cantinas and tapas bars.’
- ‘The light is opaque, and the beach looks soft and European like a Monet view of the plage.’
- ‘Still they are complaining about the traffic, even though they'll be on the real plage somewhere.’
An unusually bright region on the sun.
- ‘Prominences, flares, plages, and other features of the solar chromosphere can be observed in hydrogen light.’
- ‘Prominences and plages are structures that occur above the photosphere of the Sun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.