Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounZoology Anatomy
1The formation or arrangement of a placenta or placentae in a woman's or female animal's uterus.
- ‘Notably, in the three mammalian groups, equids, murids, and peromyscids, in which placental development of interspecific hybrids was analyzed to date, placentation defects were observed.’
- ‘The presence of an apparently unique type of lymphocyte in the uterus at implantation and during early placentation is intriguing.’
- ‘Functional roles for relaxin within human reproductive tissues have also been implicated during placentation, parturition, and lactation.’
- ‘Although the exact etiology for placenta accreta and increta is not known, it is thought that damage to the decidua basalis may lead to abnormal placentation and its sequelae.’
- ‘Most embryo clones fail to develop, and pregnancies terminate spontaneously due to fetal abnormalities or difficulties with placentation.’
- 1.1Botany The arrangement of the placenta or placentae in the ovary of a flower.
- ‘The ovary is superiorly positioned with basal placentation.’
- ‘Both genera were transferred to Flacourtiaceae by Warburg and later by Gilg on the basis of a number of morphological characters, such as a trimerous ovary with parietal placentation and anthers with longitudinal dehiscence.’
- ‘These are distinguished by characters of the bracts, placentation, inflorescence type, cytology and distribution.’
- ‘The berries in the most derived clade (Olmstead et al.'s subfamily ‘Solanoideae’) are all morphologically similar, with two carpels, axile placentation and mostly lenticular seeds.’
- ‘Salicornioideae seeds have a basal placentation, congruent with other representatives of the Chenopodiaceae.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.