Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small mat underneath a person's dining plate, used to protect the table from the heat of the plate and food.
table mat, place matView synonyms
- ‘They used this to produce bags, hats, ties, scarves, place mats and coasters.’
- ‘Enhance your feline's dining experience with glossy cat-faced bowls with matching nonskid-rubber paw print place mat.’
- ‘A little elbow grease, a nice place mat and some dishes, and the table awaited its diner.’
- ‘The table is set with an A3 paper place mat and a pair of ominous looking chopsticks.’
- ‘Leave the remainder of the ribbon loose to permit the place mat to be rolled up and tied.’
- ‘The place mat illustration is not a photographic representation of actual clams, of course, but an airbrush painting.’
- ‘Complement your paint colour with accessories like decorative towels, copper pots and pans hung over a workspace and fun place mats for the table.’
- ‘There was a stack of plates, a cup, a place mat, a clock that was off by ten minutes, a box of tissues, a coat, and an odd looking lamp.’
- ‘Bosses at the store sent the place mat away for testing but others remain on sale.’
- ‘Include a nice napkin in the bag, and keep a place mat or small tray and other accoutrements at your desk to help make the meal a pleasure.’
- ‘‘Ugh, they always put too much chocolate in this,’ she grimaced, placing the steaming mug of Mochaccino down back on the Prussian blue Java Palace place mat.’
- ‘He had seated himself at our dark wood table where, earlier, she had set out a crocheted place mat with fork and knife and napkin.’
- ‘The white place mat was topped by custom made bone china, pure white plate etched in silver at the rim.’
- ‘Now, however, the Shooter's drink menu, printed on a place mat, lists not shooters but instead Martinis, ice cream drinks, tropical drinks and coffee drinks.’
- ‘Have everyone bring a vintage linen or favorite place mat to add pizzazz.’
- ‘The kitchen table place mats still had price tags on them.’
- ‘Next I show the students a paper place mat saved from a McDonald's restaurant.’
- ‘You can use paper plates, place mats, or cups for sorting your objects.’
- ‘Wooden chairs with reclined backs and tables on which straw place mats rest are stained in sombre hues.’
- ‘More recently he's been blowing the cards up to 11-by-17 inches, about the size of a place mat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.