One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘I'm sure it'll be fine,’ he said with a placating hand on my arm.’
- ‘Raymond spread his hands out before him in a placating gesture.’
- ‘He stops somewhere in the countryside, gets out, and simply walks off into the darkness of night; even as he does so, we hear a pleading, placating message from Muriel on his cell phone's answering machine.’
- ‘‘It's not your fault,’ she said in what she hoped was a placating tone.’
- ‘Overall, it questions whether it is better to believe a placating deception than a terrible truth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.