One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A supernatural being in folklore and children's stories, typically portrayed as small and human-like in form, with pointed ears and a pointed hat.
elf, fairy, sprite, imp, brownie, puck, leprechaun, hobgoblin, periView synonyms
- ‘Shrek has over thirty fully-rendered characters as well as various fairies, pixies, gnomes, and dwarfs which appear mostly all in one scene.’
- ‘I did however go for quite a long riverside walk through areas of woodland where on a sunny day like this you could almost believe there'd be fairies and pixies scampering about playfully.’
- ‘Instead of the crass commercialism shoveled at us come Christmastime, we get to dress up as brain-eating ghouls and sexy pixies.’
- ‘In folklore, pixies play cheeky tricks on humans; they are annoying perhaps, but ultimately harmless.’
- ‘‘I believe they are real pixies, and if I what I believe is true, this is not good,’ he said.’
- ‘It's very clever for a story that's set in a parallel dimension inhabited by elves, pixies, unicorns and griffins!’
- ‘For a start, it is in a little house in the woodland beside the hotel, leading me to suspect that the staff would be elves and pixies.’
- ‘My husband's skill at cooking is nearly enough to have me forgive him for years of thinking that pixies washed his socks and elves cleaned the toilet.’
- ‘The nature of sprites and pixies was a very innocent one, more attune to that of children than creatures of magic.’
- ‘Circulus, their debut album's weirdly suggestive title aside, are the kind of band who will sing about transferring actual power to actual pixies.’
- ‘Kids simply have to dress up as a fairy or a pixie and two winners will be picked after the show.’
- ‘These people are living in a fantasy world, with fairies and pixies.’
- ‘The vocals are shared alternately between the two singers; both sound like fragile pixies, trapped in a lyrical world of jealous lovers and murderous intent.’
- ‘A mate of mine, who is known as the Halloween Man, invites friends in to see his pixies (he has 15, don't ask me where from) and gives them pumpkin pie.’
- ‘I'm a lot more interested in the time tree model where we are just a single growing and evolving organism, with no dependency on aliens or magic pixies turning up further down the line with sweets if we do well for ourselves.’
- ‘Passengers join Santa and all his pixies and elves for a one hour steam train journey through Bronte Country.’
- ‘After all, where were the magic pixies sprinkling marzipan holly berries over pre-Colonial scenes of people broasting chestnuts?’
- ‘Not only is there the day to day running of your farm, but there's a bizarre subplot involving pixies who give you magic farming tools in return for giant mushrooms and such.’
- ‘I see myself in one sense as a zoo of conflicting desires each trying to clamour for my attention like a class of noisy children or a swarm of irritating pixies - you have to decide who to listen to and who to ignore.’
- ‘They speak of pixies and fairies of indescribable beauty, who ensnare the heart of innocent lads.’
2‘do you think she should grow out her hair or keep her pixie?’short for pixie cut
- ‘Nancy was born in Ohio, one of six children, four of them girls, and with her pixie hair was often mistaken for a boy.’
- ‘I planned on chopping off my just-past-shoulder-length hair to a pixie.’
- ‘Short, sideswept bangs look amazing with a pixie.’
- ‘Although she appears to have a messy chopped pixie, her hair is actually very carefully cut and precisely sculpted.’
- ‘The stylist created this layered pixie using a technique called round graduation, in which the cut is fuller in the middle and shorter at the hairline and sides.’
- ‘New York stylist Carrington gets playful with this point-cut pixie.’
Mid 17th century: of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.