One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The human babe is a pitiably helpless and lamentably ignorant animal.’
- ‘When atrocious trouble does come, he suffers it most pitiably.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the survivors of the genocide - who were pitiably few in number - haunted the country like ghosts.’
- ‘His back was straight again, after all those years of being so pitiably hunched and trembling from the Parkinson's disease.’
- ‘The gay characters were presented as suffering from an affliction, or if not, at least as being pitiably different.’
- ‘I am terribly sorry, but we are pitiably unprepared to entertain such distinguished company as yourself, your majesty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.