One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The top of a mineshaft.
- ‘Basic improvements, like the provision of baths at every single pithead in the country, were made - but miners had to wait until nationalisation after the Second World War to see them.’
- ‘Alongside the headgear at the pithead stood the colliery manager's house.’
- ‘There was Mr Fox and his trucks carting coal from the pitheads and they were held not to be in the coalmining industry.’
- ‘Gear later said that their genesis probably lay in the towering pitheads, woods and girders of his industrial childhood.’
- ‘But the men who labour far below the last remaining pitheads of Yorkshire are not fuelling the power stations any more.’
- 1.1 The area surrounding a pithead.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.