One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lightweight sun helmet made from the dried pith of the sola or a similar tropical plant.
- ‘Our hero arrives on the scene dressed in khakis, wearing a pith helmet, and carrying an SLR camera strapped around his neck.’
- ‘If he asks for a pith helmet with a propeller to be properly dressed for quail hunting, don't scoff.’
- ‘A dashing pith helmet is certain to earn you respect from the local natives.’
- ‘You know, I wanted to buy a pith helmet and a butterfly net and go in search of that elusive creature, the undecided voter.’
- ‘You can imagine all of them bushwhacking up the Eastern Seaboard from the Maryland Swamps to NYC, Frank in his pith helmet.’
- ‘Typically, he is wearing a capitula or long shorts, knee socks, and a casque colonial or pith helmet.’
- ‘I remember one guard particularly well because of his thick black moustache and a Khaki pith helmet.’
- ‘There are some surprises here, too, like a pith helmet and assorted pairs of chiefs' sandals, all covered in fine gold leaf.’
- ‘I sat beside my mother, only a little less fortified in a pith helmet and a starched cotton dress.’
- ‘So he proceeds to devote all his time to E's study, puts on a pair of black socks and a pith helmet, and heads for the hills.’
- ‘In another such sculpture, apparently by the same artist, the reclining policeman has his pith helmet on his stomach.’
- ‘Kenny's uniform was a pair of khaki shorts, a khaki shirt rolled up over the elbows, and a pith helmet.’
- ‘He will vanquish them with one blow of his pith helmet!’
- ‘Names were drawn out of a pith helmet to decide who would leave Isandhlwana to go on patrol on the eve of the battle.’
- ‘He had progressed, become a very important Resident Commissioner with a pith helmet.’
- ‘Nobody bothered to hide their modesty - least of all Cheggers, who wore only a pith helmet and sandals throughout.’
- ‘All that was missing to complete the picture was a white pith helmet and an ostrich feather.’
- ‘Clinging to the roll bar with his big three-fingered gloves, he's wearing fatigues and a 10-gallon pith helmet.’
- ‘There is not a single pillbox cap or pith helmet to be seen anywhere in the film.’
- ‘The pith helmet similarly marks the status of the Belgian.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.