One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Like or as dark as pitch.
black, dark, pitch-dark, black as pitchView synonyms
- ‘Crystals are probably at least partially metamict and can be recognized by their high specific gravity, pitchy luster, and black color.’
- ‘The pitchy pigment's obscuring weight seems to bank rather than smother the glimmering coruscations.’
- ‘Flint is best for hand sanding painted or pitchy surfaces which can clog the paper.’
- ‘More often than not they're long wooden buildings, creosoted to a pitchy blackness and with white-painted windows.’
- ‘Drawing has been rudely incised and rubbed with pitchy graphite, which collects in the scars of the engraved surface.’
Late Middle English: from pitch.
Off-pitch; out of tune.‘pitchy vocals’
- ‘He was a little pitchy in some spots, but not bad.’
- ‘She was pitchy, off key in several places and missed words.’
- ‘All of this is incredibly frustrating since the casting was quite good, the idea was solid as mahogany and every once in a while, they found their key and were not, as Randy Jackson might say, pitchy in the least.’
- ‘Chris was pitchy from note one.’
- ‘First half of it was definitely really pitchy for you.’
- ‘The contestants are urged not to be ‘pitchy’, and are congratulated for their high notes and telegenic appeal.’
- ‘I always found her to be nasally and pitchy, but I'm not a big fan of the country twang to begin with.’
- ‘In the words of Randy Jackson, the beginning was pretty "pitchy."’
- ‘His voice screamed inside of her head louder and more pitchy than before.’
- ‘It's kinda pitchy and all over the shop.’
- ‘"With You Gone" contains the pitchiest vocals this side of the "American Idol" semifinals.’
- ‘Saucier and far less serious than last year's winner Kelly Clarkson's debut album, this disc offers all the over-the-top cheesiness of the TV show without the pitchy vocals (thank God for auto tune).’
- ‘She described at least 7 out of 10 performances as 'pitchy', but I'm not sure anyone knows what that really means.’
- ‘Randy said you were pitchy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.