One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant with a deep pitcher-shaped pouch that contains fluid into which insects are attracted and drowned. Nutrients are then absorbed from their bodies by the plant.
- ‘Bladderworts, pitcher plants, and sundews all indulge their carnivorous tastes.’
- ‘The pitcher plant attracts insects through the reddish colour and musty smell of its leaves.’
- ‘The pitcher plant, with their upright hollow tubular leaves and capped lids, is the most popular.’
- ‘They fall to the bottom, where the meat-hungry pitcher plant slowly digests them.’
- ‘The California pitcher plant, largest of the five killer plant species found here, will even consume butterflies, if it gets the chance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.