Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A large jug.
jug, ewer, jar, crockcreamerjorumView synonyms
- ‘Each table had silverware and a clean glass pitcher of syrup.’
- ‘One thing I would recommend though, would be to serve the water from glass pitchers rather than white plastic.’
- ‘In front of him was a man holding a pitcher filled with some liquid.’
- ‘Her mother seated herself, pouring some water from a pitcher into her glass, before answering.’
- ‘I took the small blue pitcher and began to pour the white liquid over my cereal.’
- ‘Taking out a glass pitcher filled with a dark-reddish fluid, she places it on the table and then turns to the cabinets above the sink.’
- ‘Dried wheat grass found in a drawer was artfully arranged in a blue glass pitcher and became a dining-table centerpiece.’
- ‘The handle in the shape of a hound dog was a popular treatment for mid-nineteenth-century pitcher handles.’
- ‘I finally found the strength to move, I picked up the cream china pitcher and poured the cool water into the basin and washed my face.’
- ‘Wick downed the rest of the glass of beer and poured from the pitcher.’
- ‘The participants were then asked to sit alone in room for 12 minutes and then they were presented with a snack tray and a pitcher of water.’
- ‘Maralynne returned eventually with a full glass and a not-full pitcher.’
- ‘She poured two glasses of iced tea from a glass pitcher.’
- ‘A 24-oz. glass and pitcher are other options, but not available at every unit.’
- ‘The first piece was a giraffe whose neck was the handle of a pitcher.’
- ‘Carrying a glass pitcher full of dark-brown liquid, with a healthy head of foam on it, he places it and two drinking bowls before us.’
- ‘He poured a glass of water from a plastic pitcher and pressed it into my hands.’
- ‘Under the rays of the burning sun Molly Hays ran forward carrying a large, full pitcher of water.’
- ‘He walked to a large gold table and placed the contents on his tray-a few small cups and a pitcher of water-onto it.’
- ‘I have a quart-sized Pyrex glass pitcher that's absolutely perfect.’
- ‘Take an earthen pitcher or any suitable container which should be clean and washed properly.’
- 1.1The contents of a pitcher.‘a pitcher of water’
- ‘They also asked for a pitcher of lemonade to wash down their meal with.’
- ‘After a pitcher of sangria, the pitch is: look at me, I'm out of control, I may need therapy, I'm damaged, deviant and different.’
- ‘Here eyes on the pitcher of orange juice that was being passed around.’
- ‘For instance, Manoj, a software engineer, prefers to have a pitcher of chilled sweet toddy with friends to beat the lethargy of a lazy Sunday.’
- ‘He didn't knock back a pitcher of lemonade before he staggered onto the stage.’
- ‘Anyway, it won me a pitcher of Fosters, which I forgot to cash in.’
- ‘We were at a little Mexican restaurant in old Montreal and we had a pitcher of Sangria.’
- ‘He chases a four-hour mountain-bike ride with a pepperoni pizza and a pitcher of beer.’
- ‘It is regarded as being akin to rocket fuel so just imagine what state a person or persons would be in if they purchased a pitcher of the stuff.’
- ‘Over 200 people attended the event, drawn in by cheap pitchers of beer.’
- ‘Start with a pitcher of Martinis and your favorite spouse.’
- ‘So, on Thursday, I'm out with Dave, and he orders a pitcher of Budweiser.’
- ‘As a result, they also had a wings and beer special where you get a pitcher of beer along with 20 jumbo chicken wings for only $20.’
- ‘I took it upon myself to order for the table a pitcher of sangria.’
- ‘But when you're fixing a pitcher of Bloody Marys, so much is going in that, the vodka is not the issue.’
- ‘Our bar trivia team won three straight pitchers of beer this week.’
- ‘If they bring their own tequila, they can order a pitcher of fresh limeade or watermelon juice to make margaritas.’
- ‘We had Big-P's special burgers last week and I made a pitcher of delicious summer punch to go with them…’
- ‘My recommendation is to just get a pitcher of whatever is on special that night and try to pin the designated driver duty on someone else.’
- ‘Endless pitchers of beer are slopping at us like the tap is stuck open.’
2Broken pottery crushed and reused.
3The modified leaf of a pitcher plant.
- ‘The sides of the pitcher are slippery and may be grooved in such a way so as to ensure that the insects cannot climb out.’
- ‘These will grow tall green pitchers with a wavy lid and light red veining.’
Middle English: from Old French pichier pot, based on late Latin picarium.
The player who delivers the ball to the batter.
- ‘The pitcher fields the ball while running toward the line and flips it to the third baseman.’
- ‘All eight patients were competitive baseball players (seven pitchers, one catcher).’
- ‘The pitcher threw four straight balls, and none of them were near the plate.’
- ‘No drug can eliminate that mental torment when a hitter is supposed to deliver or a pitcher is supposed to succeed.’
- ‘The catcher has to stay within the box until the pitcher delivers the ball.’
- ‘Most girls played softball, so finding baseball pitchers was often difficult.’
- ‘Baseball's going to need to get a lot smarter on how to value players, especially pitchers.’
- ‘Few position players or pitchers maintain an even remotely uniform level of effectiveness.’
- ‘It was a situation in which most pitchers would deliver a fastball to get the first strike.’
- ‘Only a handful of pitchers in major league history have struck out 19 batters in a game.’
- ‘Unlike a hockey goalie or a baseball pitcher, one dominant player is not enough to determine a game.’
- ‘Then, after handing the ball over, the pitcher has to make that same march back to the dugout alone.’
- ‘The Giants could be vulnerable, losing four everyday players and a starting pitcher.’
- ‘The decision was made because there were no players left, no pitchers left.’
- ‘Can you tell me what the major league record is for most consecutive batters retired by a pitcher and who holds it?’
- ‘See the accompanying chart for pitchers and position players with the most years of major league service.’
- ‘As the pitch came in, Shay and his teammate swung at the ball and together they hit a slow ground ball to the pitcher.’
- ‘No matter how fast a pitcher can throw a ball, it always travels 60 feet, six inches before it is declared a strike.’
- ‘After all, the pitcher is the one player who can dominate and take control of a game.’
- ‘In the game, you take on the roles as the pitcher, fielder, batter, everyone with the simple control scheme.’
2A stone used for paving.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.