One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large wooden beam used to support the roof of a coal mine.
- ‘By the 1930s a worker's camp had been established, and the forest produced wood for pit props and fencing.’
- ‘The use of wood in the foundries and for pit props in the mines must have been considerable.’
- ‘It features pit props for roof beams, bricks from wash houses, a massive lump of coal for an alter and a half winding wheel on a wall.’
- ‘The mines provided wage labor and required a network of commerce to supply explosives, chemicals, timber for pit props, and food for the miners.’
- ‘Its cargo of pit props - used to hold up mine shafts - went into the sea and its crew overboard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.