One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rod or crankshaft attached to a piston to drive a wheel or to impart motion.
- ‘‘Iry, the damned piston rod seized on the crankshaft,’ she said, her voice rising.’
- ‘As his target was approached, the left engine conked out again with the piston rod crashing through the block.’
- ‘When a cylinder fires, the piston rod is at an angle and can immediately turn the crankshaft via the cam at the end of the pivoting arm.’
- ‘Stainless steel piston rods and external hydraulic pipes are fitted for maximum durability.’
- ‘This overbalance is calculated as a function of the reciprocating mass of the piston, piston rod, cross-head, and front portion of the main rod.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.