Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rod or crankshaft attached to a piston to drive a wheel or to impart motion.
- ‘As his target was approached, the left engine conked out again with the piston rod crashing through the block.’
- ‘Stainless steel piston rods and external hydraulic pipes are fitted for maximum durability.’
- ‘‘Iry, the damned piston rod seized on the crankshaft,’ she said, her voice rising.’
- ‘When a cylinder fires, the piston rod is at an angle and can immediately turn the crankshaft via the cam at the end of the pivoting arm.’
- ‘This overbalance is calculated as a function of the reciprocating mass of the piston, piston rod, cross-head, and front portion of the main rod.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.