Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ring on a piston sealing the gap between the piston and the cylinder wall.
- ‘All piston rings rely on cylinder pressure for sealing; gas ports just apply the pressure more efficiently.’
- ‘Random leak testing is also recommended because any cylinder leakage indicates a bent valve or a faulty piston ring.’
- ‘The downside is that tiny amounts of oil can force their way up past the piston ring into the combustion chamber.’
- ‘There were also many piston and piston ring failures.’
- ‘Something was broken and Bill and I suspected he'd blown a piston ring.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.