Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An engine, especially in an aircraft, in which power is derived from cylinders and pistons rather than a turbine.
- ‘A self-winding hose reel called ReelSmart lets you flip a switch to divert the water flow from the hose to a piston engine inside the drum.’
- ‘One seemed to live and dream, aircraft and to this day I automatically crane skywards at the sound of a piston engine.’
- ‘A piston engine would use too much fuel, so he thought of using a gas turbine.’
- ‘This type of powerplant was ideal for lower performance aircraft that could substitute their piston engines for the turboprop.’
- ‘An old generation piston engine is nowhere near as technically reliable as a new generation high tech turbine aircraft engine.’
- ‘Jet engines are crucial: They're faster than piston engines and far safer.’
- ‘The basic design of the aviation piston engine hasn't changed drastically in decades.’
- ‘Jet engines have supplanted piston engines in commercial aircraft due to more power, greater speed, and better all-around performance.’
- ‘They replaced the old radial air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines with a high-compression piston engine.’
- ‘Regardless of the technology, hybrids still rely on the piston engine as a primary power source.’
- ‘Improved engine designs have boosted efficiency - turbines replaced piston engines, for example.’
- ‘The combination is a small, low-pressure steam boiler feeding a piston engine or turbine.’
- ‘Hitherto, helicopters had been powered by piston engines and this had brought many cooling problems.’
- ‘Nick Gibbs hovers above the centre and starboard radial piston engines of the Sparrowhawk’
- ‘The operation of the rotary engine means that it is not prone to backfiring on hydrogen, as conventional piston engines are.’
- ‘Unlike a piston engine, where reciprocating parts move up and down, the twin rotors in the Mazda just spin around.’
- ‘H - 21s were powered by 1,425-horsepower radial piston engines and could carry 20 soldiers.’
- ‘How did a piston engine tanker refuel a faster jet bomber?’
- ‘Wankle rotary engines use the Otto cycle, but they do it in a very different way than four-stroke piston engines.’
- ‘As in a piston engine, overlap is the short circuit by which spent gasses invade the fuel-air charge.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.