One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An engine, especially in an aircraft, in which power is derived from cylinders and pistons rather than a turbine.
- ‘The combination is a small, low-pressure steam boiler feeding a piston engine or turbine.’
- ‘The basic design of the aviation piston engine hasn't changed drastically in decades.’
- ‘H - 21s were powered by 1,425-horsepower radial piston engines and could carry 20 soldiers.’
- ‘Unlike a piston engine, where reciprocating parts move up and down, the twin rotors in the Mazda just spin around.’
- ‘Jet engines have supplanted piston engines in commercial aircraft due to more power, greater speed, and better all-around performance.’
- ‘One seemed to live and dream, aircraft and to this day I automatically crane skywards at the sound of a piston engine.’
- ‘An old generation piston engine is nowhere near as technically reliable as a new generation high tech turbine aircraft engine.’
- ‘As in a piston engine, overlap is the short circuit by which spent gasses invade the fuel-air charge.’
- ‘Improved engine designs have boosted efficiency - turbines replaced piston engines, for example.’
- ‘This type of powerplant was ideal for lower performance aircraft that could substitute their piston engines for the turboprop.’
- ‘Hitherto, helicopters had been powered by piston engines and this had brought many cooling problems.’
- ‘Regardless of the technology, hybrids still rely on the piston engine as a primary power source.’
- ‘They replaced the old radial air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines with a high-compression piston engine.’
- ‘How did a piston engine tanker refuel a faster jet bomber?’
- ‘The operation of the rotary engine means that it is not prone to backfiring on hydrogen, as conventional piston engines are.’
- ‘Wankle rotary engines use the Otto cycle, but they do it in a very different way than four-stroke piston engines.’
- ‘A piston engine would use too much fuel, so he thought of using a gas turbine.’
- ‘Nick Gibbs hovers above the centre and starboard radial piston engines of the Sparrowhawk’
- ‘Jet engines are crucial: They're faster than piston engines and far safer.’
- ‘A self-winding hose reel called ReelSmart lets you flip a switch to divert the water flow from the hose to a piston engine inside the drum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.