One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The female organs of a flower, comprising the stigma, style, and ovary.
- ‘Most of the flowers have a pistil longer than the anthers.’
- ‘The pistil and the stamen of the flowers are the specialized organs responsible for the reproductive processes.’
- ‘In addition, there was a negative correlation between the number of stamens and the number of pistils within female flowers.’
- ‘Five pistils were dissected from flowers and the stigmas and styles were mounted on aluminium stubs using carbon paste.’
- ‘Silks and glumes were removed from the pistils for separate analyses.’
Early 18th century: from French pistile or Latin pistillum ‘pestle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.