One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ski run of compacted snow.
course, racecourseView synonyms
- ‘Winter, is of course, also the season to hit the pistes.’
- ‘If Federer tried his luck on the piste tomorrow he would probably melt the snow.’
- ‘This, coupled with 110 km of pistes, means it's no wonder that three-quarters of skiers in the area are repeat guests.’
- ‘THESE SKIS are designed for use on the groomed pistes.’
- ‘Not so long ago, I took a cable-car from Cervinia to Plan Maison and spent the day with the baby while the rest of my family skied the prepared pistes.’
- ‘The group were obviously delighted when they arrived at their destination, Ruka and saw several feet of snow on the piste.’
- ‘The Dolomiti Ski Superpass gives access to 125 miles of pistes and 460 lifts for around £100.’
- ‘On a day of new snow, you can powder-ski on the piste.’
- ‘These are confident skis that can take advanced skiers who rarely leave the piste to places they've never seen.’
- ‘The skiing is suitable for all abilities and ski pistes descend right in to the centre of the various levels of the resorts.’
- ‘Here you'll find excellent cross-country and downhill skiing facilities on wonderfully uncrowded pistes.’
- ‘We're talking one chair lift, a few drag lifts, a bare piste or three with attendant facilities and equipment hire from The Stone Age.’
- ‘The first snow on the gravel piste caused some of the bikers to turn the same colour.’
- ‘We came here last year for Christmas and you couldn't find a piste to ski there were so many people.’
- ‘Powder and nicely-prepared pistes are really boring compared to random ice patches, flat light and five metre visibility.’
- ‘Its range of pistes is ideal for beginners and intermediate skiers.’
- ‘Boian also helped create the pistes and ski lifts on the mountain.’
- ‘The sun is shining on Alpine pistes and resorts are relying on artificial snow cannons to keep slopes open.’
- ‘In Italy, anger over collisions between skiers and boarders even led to the creation of separate pistes for the two sports.’
- ‘One skier on her first day on the piste did not even make it as far as the ski lift.’
French, literally ‘racetrack’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.