One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ski run of compacted snow.
course, racecourseView synonyms
- ‘Not so long ago, I took a cable-car from Cervinia to Plan Maison and spent the day with the baby while the rest of my family skied the prepared pistes.’
- ‘Powder and nicely-prepared pistes are really boring compared to random ice patches, flat light and five metre visibility.’
- ‘Its range of pistes is ideal for beginners and intermediate skiers.’
- ‘We're talking one chair lift, a few drag lifts, a bare piste or three with attendant facilities and equipment hire from The Stone Age.’
- ‘Winter, is of course, also the season to hit the pistes.’
- ‘The first snow on the gravel piste caused some of the bikers to turn the same colour.’
- ‘The skiing is suitable for all abilities and ski pistes descend right in to the centre of the various levels of the resorts.’
- ‘If Federer tried his luck on the piste tomorrow he would probably melt the snow.’
- ‘On a day of new snow, you can powder-ski on the piste.’
- ‘This, coupled with 110 km of pistes, means it's no wonder that three-quarters of skiers in the area are repeat guests.’
- ‘Here you'll find excellent cross-country and downhill skiing facilities on wonderfully uncrowded pistes.’
- ‘The sun is shining on Alpine pistes and resorts are relying on artificial snow cannons to keep slopes open.’
- ‘In Italy, anger over collisions between skiers and boarders even led to the creation of separate pistes for the two sports.’
- ‘The group were obviously delighted when they arrived at their destination, Ruka and saw several feet of snow on the piste.’
- ‘We came here last year for Christmas and you couldn't find a piste to ski there were so many people.’
- ‘One skier on her first day on the piste did not even make it as far as the ski lift.’
- ‘These are confident skis that can take advanced skiers who rarely leave the piste to places they've never seen.’
- ‘The Dolomiti Ski Superpass gives access to 125 miles of pistes and 460 lifts for around £100.’
- ‘Boian also helped create the pistes and ski lifts on the mountain.’
- ‘THESE SKIS are designed for use on the groomed pistes.’
French, literally ‘racetrack’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.