One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A public urinal.
lavatory, wc, water closet, convenience, public convenience, facilities, urinal, privy, latrine, outhouse, earth closet, jakesView synonyms
- ‘There are modern versions of old-fashioned French pissoirs for the many people who are apparently unable to use more ambitious lavatories with any degree of success.’
- ‘The disgruntled butler uses the soup tureen as a pissoir.’
- ‘The world of the arts is now not so much your oyster as your pissoir.’
- ‘In 1864, as part of his modernisation of Paris, Georges-Eugene Haussmann introduced the pissoir.’
- ‘The tiny theatres that were once described as ‘jewel boxes’ smelled more like pissoirs and the art was long gone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.