One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A public urinal.
lavatory, wc, water closet, convenience, public convenience, facilities, urinal, privy, latrine, outhouse, earth closet, jakesView synonyms
- ‘In 1864, as part of his modernisation of Paris, Georges-Eugene Haussmann introduced the pissoir.’
- ‘The tiny theatres that were once described as ‘jewel boxes’ smelled more like pissoirs and the art was long gone.’
- ‘The world of the arts is now not so much your oyster as your pissoir.’
- ‘There are modern versions of old-fashioned French pissoirs for the many people who are apparently unable to use more ambitious lavatories with any degree of success.’
- ‘The disgruntled butler uses the soup tureen as a pissoir.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.