One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insignificant or contemptible person.
insignificant person, nobody, nonentity, non-person, gnat, insect, cipher, pygmyView synonyms
- ‘Of course, this guy makes them all seem like pishers.’
- ‘Vowing to get the little pisher back, they resort to exploiting Cartman's recent rendezvous with a spacecraft to contact the creatures and save Kyle's sibling.’
- ‘Unlike those pishers, Emerson actually reported her stories, even going so far as to risk her life in war-zones like Vietnam and Gaza.’
- ‘I was just a pisher - a 22-year-old kid from Brooklyn - and my record was on top!’
- ‘And I don't wanna get whacked ‘cause some little pisher wanted to play cops 'n' robbers, know what I mean?’’
1940s: Yiddish, literally ‘pisser’, from the verb pissen.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.