One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an animal) feeding on fish.
- ‘As would be assumed with juvenile or young fish, some predation could occur from piscivorous birds.’
- ‘This stream contains a diverse community of fishes, including the piscivorous cichlid fish, Petenia splendida.’
- ‘The Yarra River is a large slow-moving stream that empties into the Caribbean Sea and contains many large piscivorous predators.’
- ‘Because of their feeding habitats, pelicans and other piscivorous birds usually don't contract avian botulism.’
- ‘Those effects are exacerbated in piscivorous species, because of the tendency of PCBs to biomagnify at upper trophic levels.’
- ‘The bulk of their diet is made up of crustaceans and molluscs, larger fish become more piscivorous, feeding upon herring and sand eels.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin piscis ‘fish’ + -vorous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.