Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or concerning fish.
fishlike, piscine, of fishView synonyms
- ‘The mystery of fish slumber lies within the greater mystery of the piscine mind.’
- ‘The balloonfish swallows air, when attacked by avian predators, or water, when attacked by piscine predators.’
- ‘Three summers ago, there were so many insects that piscine sumptuary laws could have been declared.’
- ‘Viewing this piscine cornucopia, Baldwin was struck with the thought, ‘There's so much here every day.’’
- ‘But that could be difficult for the piscine inhabitants of Yorkshire rivers these dark, cold December nights.’
Late 18th century: from Latin piscis fish + -ine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.