One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of or concerning fishermen or fishing.
- ‘This was a welcome fish indeed and restored my faith in my piscatorial brethren.’
- ‘I am often amazed at the social status, or lack thereof, that surrounds those who have followed the path of piscatorial adventure.’
- ‘The grayling is arguably the most up-and-coming fish in the piscatorial hierarchy, as voted by us fishermen.’
- ‘I get out the skillet, add some oil, prepare some seasoned flour, dredge the fish, and prepare our piscatorial feast.’
- ‘These six piscatorial picks, because of their noteworthy omega - 3 levels, also deserve a place on your plate.’
- ‘I remember quite clearly the day when my infant piscatorial thoughts turned from small creatures to fantasies of slightly larger prey.’
Early 19th century: from Latin piscatorius ‘relating to fishing’ (from piscator ‘fisherman’, from piscis ‘fish’) + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.