One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A peppery-smelling liquid formed by the reduction of pyridine.
- ‘The DNA pellet was resuspended in piperidine and maintained at 95 deg C for 20 min.’
- ‘By following the Maxam-Gilbert method, we treated Si with dimethyl sulfate and piperidine to get the results shown in Lane 2.’
- ‘In the latter case cleavage was only visualized following UV irradiation and treatment with hot piperidine.’
- ‘This process was performed repeatedly to remove all traces of piperidine.’
- ‘It is based on piperidine - a hexagon-shaped molecule found in trace amounts in black pepper.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin piper ‘pepper’ + -ide + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.