One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pre-recorded background music played through loudspeakers in a public place.
- ‘I also heard about places where piped music was being used as a deterrent to teenagers and how it was helping to calm rail users down.’
- ‘The three-way merger of piped music specialists last week is just the start of consolidation in this fascinating industry.’
- ‘‘We were woken by piped music at 5am every day to clean our rooms,’ said Jo.’
- ‘He has written a letter of complaint to the hospital and to Pipedown, a national organisation that campaigns for the banning of piped music in public places.’
- ‘A spokesman for Tayside said: ‘We did an experiment with piped music and it drove the staff nuts so we had to stop.’’
- ‘Rich veneered wood and fine fabrics, intimate lighting, glowing stained glass mirrors and soft piped music create a cocoon of sybarism.’
- ‘Inside we find the space-agey shiny metal lift, an ugly, ugly lurid purple logo and atmospheric piped music that melodizes our rise to the dining room.’
- ‘Some pubs in the trendier parts of Sydney would not put up timely race or dividend results, would show the broadcasts in competition to sport and piped music.’
- ‘Most official England anthems are toe-curlingly dreadful while the pre-match piped music at football matches isn't much better.’
- ‘Yes, like Ronald Howard and Margaret Thompson piped music, from whatever quarter, is a menace to our eardrums and our sanity.’
- ‘Similarly the increasing ubiquity of the superpub, with its piped music and flatscreen televisions, is in danger of flattening the once vibrant oral culture.’
- ‘TruSonic competes with Muzak.com to sell piped music to hotels, restaurants and other businesses.’
- ‘Anyone who cannot do without piped music can bring their own choice of music and use headphones, without forcing it on others - if the volume is properly controlled.’
- ‘When there's a warm spell in Ireland, shopping centres North and South can be relied upon to include a Beach Boys compilation in their piped music selection.’
- ‘It also had air-conditioning, piped music, shower, toilet, clean towels, linen, etc.’
- ‘There is irritating piped music, a vain attempt to drown out the background wind-pocket moan of the ventilation/heating system and generate some atmosphere perhaps.’
- ‘You don't get piped music carefully selected to psychologically encourage you to buy more, you don't get the claustrophobic mood-altering fluorescent lights.’
- ‘The bar and restaurant group, which employs more than 100 people, has also excluded alcopops, gaming machines and loud piped music from all its taverns.’
- ‘He has also docked his education minister's pay for falling standards and outlawed piped music in public places.’
- ‘Their chief curse is piped music, sometimes so loud as to preclude concentration on the books and enforce departure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.