Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An NCO commanding regimental pipes and drums.as title ‘Pipe Major Hadden’
- ‘Our pipe major was in the back of one of the command vehicles playing the bagpipes.’
- ‘The band took a huge body blow in 1987 when their pipe major, Tony Burke, upped sticks and moved to Britain.’
- ‘Annan also has a renowned brass band, two former world-champion pipe bands and a former world champion pipe major.’
- ‘The Piping Centre's founding director of piping is also one of the world's most accomplished solo pipers and a pipe major with the acclaimed ScottishPower Pipe Band.’
- ‘The main photograph, right, shows the City of York Pipe Band, pictured in the late 1980s, when pipe major Paul Adams had just taken over.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.