One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of wire covered with fibre, used to clean a tobacco pipe.
- ‘We used corrugated paper to form columns, assembled small wood scraps and pipe cleaners for sculptures, rails, fences and ramps.’
- ‘The animal has been described as looking like a pipe cleaner by his keepers and joins animals including deer and reindeer.’
- ‘‘I don't feel hidebound by fashion,’ he says, taking a seat next to an ad hoc arrangement of pipe cleaners and a vase of ostrich feathers.’
- ‘Poke the pipe cleaners pieces in for stick arms.’
- ‘‘I came out of hospital looking like a collection of pipe cleaners,’ she recalls.’
- ‘My curriculum suggested I lead my 4-year - old charges in a craft that required four pipe cleaners per student.’
- ‘But all the Martha Stewart wannabe's can't wait to come out of their gingerbread houses to sell us their fancy little wares of felt and pipe cleaners.’
- ‘At about 15 I was a proper pipe cleaner and I have never done anything about it since.’
- ‘She also brought in a group of girls, so that the toy makers could watch them play with pipe cleaners, cardboard, and other basic supplies.’
- ‘My early years spent in Sunday school at the United Church involved creating Jesus effigies out of construction paper, pipe cleaners and white glue.’
- ‘Attach a pipe cleaner to the tissue paper flower.’
- ‘Ms. Flores also demonstrates glue-gun techniques, adding feathers, raffia, faux jewels and pipe cleaners to enhance the masks.’
- ‘Pick out a black pipe cleaner and glue it to the top of the head for the antenna (a hot glue gun works the best here).’
- ‘I sat in Mr. Minister's tanned Buick station wagon, a miserable hostage, about to come face to face with bargain bins of felt and pipe cleaner.’
- ‘Then I took my pipe out of my pocket and put this feather down the stem and everything and worked it in a way I've never worked a pipe cleaner before.’
- ‘We recommend sewing a pipe cleaner inside a long tube and then shaping it into an animal.’
- ‘Arms, legs and tails that were knitted on the small spool loom may be made to hold a bent or curled position with a pipe cleaner.’
- ‘Add yellow doll hair to top of head as well as a gold pipe cleaner for a halo.’
- ‘Made of 165,000 two-inch pieces of chenille pipe cleaners, the piece has another, clandestine identity.’
- ‘Wear a pipe cleaner or something that will fit on the places that you injure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.